Federal Court Updates
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
CENTRAL DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
Release Date: April 13, 2020
Further Measures Taken in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic
The United States District Court for the Central District of California announces the following further measures taken in response to the threat posed by COVID-19, also known as the “Coronavirus.”
1. The Court’s Continuity of Operations Plan (“COOP”) remains activated and is extended through and including June 1, 2020.
2. The Court will not call in jurors for service in civil or criminal jury trials until after June 1, 2020.
3. All filing deadlines will remain in place unless otherwise ordered by the presiding Judge.
4. Pursuant to the COOP, hearings in civil cases will only go forward by video or telephonic conference.
5. Hearings by video and telephonic conference may be held by individual Judges in certain criminal matters.
6. Criminal duty matters before Magistrate Judges, such as initial appearances, arraignments, detention hearings, and the issuance of search warrants, shall continue to take place in the ordinary course, with a preference for appearances made by video or telephonic conference as set forth in Order of the Chief Judge No. 20-043. All signatures on documents including, but not limited to, financial affidavits, statement of the defendant’s constitutional rights, consents to waive preliminary hearing, consents to appear by video or telephonic conference, waivers of the defendant’s presence, Pretrial and Probation reports, and appearance bonds/orders for release shall be performed electronically with the [s/name] format. For the defendant, defense counsel may sign on behalf of the defendant, after receiving consent, and submit the documents electronically to the duty Judge’s criminal duty email address by no later than 2:00 p.m. the day of the criminal duty calendar.
7. In-person meetings of the grand juries shall remain suspended and that period of suspension is extended through and including June 1, 2020.
8. The naturalization ceremonies scheduled in April and May 2020 are cancelled.
KIRY K. GRAY
DISTRICT COURT EXECUTIVE / CLERK OF COURT
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
GENERAL ORDER No. 73
Temporary Restrictions on Courthouse Access due to COVID-19 Public Health Emergency; Consolidation and Relocation of All Essential Operations to the San Francisco Courthouse
On March 26, 2020, in order to further protect the health of parties, attorneys, court staff, and other potential visitors to the court, all essential court proceedings were consolidated and relocated to the San Francisco Courthouse at 450 Golden Gate Avenue, until April 7, 2020. This period is hereby extended until May 1, 2020, and may be extended by further order.
Only persons having official court business authorized by General Order No. 72, or by a presiding judge, may enter the San Francisco Courthouse property. Members of the press and public who have a legitimate need to observe an in-person hearing may do so, and such attendance will be considered “official court business.” However, courtroom spectators are reminded that a shelter-in-place has been ordered throughout the State of California, and that there are health and safety risks associated with attending an in-person court hearing. This limited access for the press and public applies only to the San Francisco courthouse. The Intake Office’s drop box has been moved to the first-floor lobby at the Turk Street entrance.
All other courthouses of the United States District Court, Northern District of California, shall be entirely closed to the general public until May 1, 2020. This period may be extended by further order, and this closure applies to the following locations:
(1) The United States Courthouse of the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building at 1301 Clay Street, Oakland;
(2) The United States Courthouse of the Robert F. Peckham Federal Building, 280 South First Street, San Jose; and
(3) The United States Courthouse at 3140 Boeing Avenue, McKinleyville.
March 16, 2020
March 23, 2020
March 25, 2020
April 2, 2020
FOR THE COURT:
PHYLLIS J. HAMILTON CHIEF JUDGE
March 26, 2020
Please be advised that the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California has consolidated and relocated all essential court proceedings to the San Francisco Courthouse at 450 Golden Gate Avenue, effective March 26, 2020 until April 7, 2020.
The San Jose, Oakland, and Eureka-McKinleyville courthouses are entirely closed to the general public from Thursday, March 26, 2020 until April 7, 2020.
Please see General Order 73, Temporary Restrictions on Courthouse Access due to COVID-19 Public Health Emergency; Consolidation and Relocation of All Essential Operations to the San Francisco Courthouse, amended March 25, 2020.
Please see the court’s public website for more information